Our commitment statement
We can give you access to information unless it's in the publics' best interest for us to keep it private.
What is right to information
The Right to Information (RTI) process is the Queensland Government's approach to giving the community greater access to information.
This is defined under 2 pieces of legislation.
- Right to Information Act 2009 (RTI Act) allows you to apply for access to documents held by Queensland Government agencies.
- Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP Act) details privacy principles and allows you to apply for access and to make amendments to personal information.
Making a Right to Information Application
Ask if your information is available through our administrative access process before applying for your personal information under the IP Act 2009.
Check what information is already available
Before applying, check to see if the information is on one of the following Queensland Health websites.
- Disclosure logs list information that has already been released in response to RTI access requests as well as the details of current applications.
- Publication schemes describe and categorises information available from our health service.
- Openness and transparency index is a list of additional data you can download.
- Open data strategy.
If you can’t find the information you're looking for, please contact us on 07 4658 8000 before lodging a request.
How to apply
If you're seeking access to your medical records, you should make contact with the treating facility to access your records under our administrative access process.
Sometimes we can't grant the release of documents under these provisions.
In this case, you can make a formal request. There may be a cost, which depends on your request.
You can also submit it by post to Release of Information Unit, Central West Hospital and Health Service, PO Box 510, Longreach Qld 4730.
Some fees and charges apply to these applications.
Right of review
If you’re not satisfied with our decision on your access application you can apply to have it reviewed. This must be done within 20 business days from the date on the letter telling you our decision.
Please contact the manager of our Release of Information Unit directly on 07 4652 8000 to discuss.
You can also apply to have our decision reviewed by the Information Commissioner.
Documents are in PDF format. If you need a different format email ROI_CWHHS@health.qld.gov.au.