Supporting your health care journey
Nurse Navigators are a team of registered nurses who can help coordinate your care. We focus on your entire health care journey and all your health needs, not just on a specific disease or condition.
How we can help
As experienced nurses, we have expert clinical knowledge and a good understanding of the health system. This means we can work with you around your health care needs and link you to the services that are right for you. We'll help you understand your medical conditions and talk to you about how you’re feeling and discuss treatment options and plans of care.
We can also help by:
- coordinating your appointments and acting as a central point of contact for all your care providers
- going with you to appointments and making sure you understand the information being given to you by your GP, specialist or other health professional
- linking you to support if you need help at home or to live independently
- referring you to social and community supports, which can support you to learn new skills and engage with others
- discussing and supporting you with Advance Care Planning.
Who can get help?
Nurse Navigators care for patients of all age groups, who have complex health conditions and who need a high level of clinical care. This may include patients with multiple chronic illnesses, or those who have complicated short term health conditions. We can also work with your family members or other caregivers involved in your care.
Finding a Nurse Navigator
Nurse Navigators are located across the Central West Hospital and Health Service. You can be referred to a Nurse Navigator by your health care professional, who will ask for your consent first.
You or a family member can also contact us by either:
- calling the Primary Health Care Team in Longreach on 07 4652 5500
- contacting a Nurse Navigator in your area below.